Share this Image On Your SitePlease include attribution to april9.com.au with this graphic.
Get up to speed:
Favourites over time... JS Frameworks' popularity ranked since 2016 against awareness, interest and satisfaction metrics:
Let’s take building a house as an example. In reality, it’s possible to build a house from scratch. You can create your own materials, and build the structure one by one, without any guide. But it will ultimately prove to be time-consuming and confusing. If you have a blueprint, on the other hand, the work becomes a lot easier.
It is the same thing for web development.
Originally created and maintained by Facebook, React is one of the top choices for developers. It has gained popularity in a short period of time since its inception mainly because of its ability to provide high performing applications for users. With its declarative and component-based structure, it's best when working with large-scale projects. It is one of the most developer-friendly frameworks thus it has high satisfaction ratings among developers.
- Best used for building widget-based views
- Can be used on both the server side and client side
- Easy to maintain because of its component-based architecture
- Can be used with other frameworks such as Angular.js and Backbone.js
- Used by Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, and other big companies.
- Used for developing a Single Page Application (SPA)
- Pre-renders content for improved SEO and faster browsing
- Can be configured in MVC and MVW architecture.
- Has built-in dependency injection
- Used by PayPal, Freelancer, LinkedIn, among others.
Released in 2014, Vue is a lightweight JS framework with features inspired by React and Angular. Its template is similar to that of Angular and it is also component-based like React. If you are developing cross-platform, this framework is a reliable platform. It might seem like a new player in the industry but its features show how they can be ahead of the game in a few years’ time.
- Can power single page web applications
- Has a small file size, preventing a slowdown
- Easier to learn compared to other frameworks
- Easy to integrate into other apps
- Uses HTML-based syntax, making coding easier
An open-source framework, Ember is used in developing both single page and large web applications. It is considered to be an opinionated framework as it helps developers in discovering the best practices and external tools for the platform. This makes it easy to build websites with Ember but it means you’ll be limited to Ember’s structure. If you want a more flexible framework, Ember may not be for you.
- Best if you want to get a fast production and release of your application but the structure is limited
- Follows convention over configuration (COC)
- Has Ember-CLI which gives you plenty of useful tools
- Supports two-way data binding making it preferable for complicated UI
- New features are frequently added
- Used by Netflix, Nordstrom, and Apple Music (desktop application)
Mithril is straight to the point. With a tiny file size, its goal is to get you started right away and finish the project as quickly as possible. A client-side framework, it is mainly used in developing Single Page Applications. It has features similar to React but the size of the framework is significantly smaller.
- When compressed, its footprint’s file size is only 8kb so loading is at a rapid speed.
- One of the leanest and most lightweight frameworks.
- Because Mithril’s functions are not derived from a base class, it is easier to implement.
- Supports all browsers such as IE9 even without polyfills
- Provides routing and XHR utilities
- Used by Nike, Fitbit, and more.
- Ideal for real-time applications
- Has the largest open source libraries
- There is no buffering in any data
- Has a faster response to request because it’s asynchronous and event-driven
- Same code for client-side and server-side
- Used by Uber, Paypal, Walmart, and many others.
Initially released in 2010, Backbone is a flexible and lightweight framework. It is used to develop Single Page Applications and client-side applications. When developers are using Backbone.js, they are in charge of choosing their own tool that they think is best for their project. Because it’s one of the oldest JS frameworks, you are assured that a bulk of its issues have already been discovered and addressed.
- Has a RESTful JSON interface
- The communication between views and models are event-driven so the code is easier to read
- There are automatic updates on the HTML code when changes are made in the model
- Consists of over 100 extensions that help organize codes for any project
- Used by Sony Entertainment Network, Airbnb, SoundCloud, etc.
Talk to the experts
April9 can give you tailored and professional solutions that incorporate the latest trends in software development to make sure you engage with and stay on your customers' minds. Our top-notch developers are connoisseurs of the programming languages and they can help you rise above the rest, no matter what industry you are in. If you’re ready to take your business to the next level, contact April9 today for a free consultation today.