Your Wordpress Site might not be secure – here’s how to fix it
With approximately half of the websites in the world run on Wordpress, Wordpress security is a topic of utmost importance for all website owners. Millions of people are using Wordpress every day to share information on the Internet, and this data should be protected at all times.
The core software of Wordpress in itself is secure; it is audited regularly by hundreds of developers.But there are extra steps you can perform to improve the security of your website. Read on to find out how.
How to Protect a Post or a Page
Wordpress has functionalities that will give you the freedom to control the information you share with your website visitors. To protect a post or a page on your Wordpress website, you can install plugins.Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Posts > All Posts from the dashboard.
- Choose the post you want to protect and use Edit to open.
- In the right sidebar, look for the Publish section then click Edit.
- The different options should appear: public, private, and password protected.
- Click password-protected, and then enter a password.
- Once done, click the OK button.
When you follow the step-by-step procedure above, your post will only be visible to visitors who enter the password you just set.
Another option is to use the Passater Plugin. It is one of the easiest ways to protect a post or a page by restricting user access. You need to activate the plugin and enter a shortcode before and after the content you’d like to restrict access to. If a visitor wants to view your protected content, they will be asked to enter the password.Here’s how you can activate Passater:
- Go to Plugins.
- Click Add New.
- Look for the Passater plugin and click.
- Click the Install Now button.
- Once installed, click the Activate button.
- Choose the post you would like to protect and open.
- Select the content block you’d like to protect.
- Choose Content Protector Shortcode option. It’s added to the text editor.
- A popup window will appear. Enter the password, and click Insert Shortcode.
- Click Update or Publish to save changes.
How to Protect a Category of Posts
Aside from just protecting a specific page or a post, you can also protect an entire category of posts.Here’s how:
- To restrict access to a specific category of posts, you can use the Access Category Password plugin.
- On your website admin panel, go to Plugins and click Add New.
- Search for Access Category Password plugin and click install once it shows up.
- Once installed, click Activate.
- On the sidebar menu, hover over Settings and click on the Access Category Password option.
- You will be redirected to the settings page of Access Category Password.
- Enter a password on the set of category posts that you want to be password protected using the Impacted categories option.
- Once the changes are saved, all of the posts under the password-protected category will have user-restricted access.
How to Protect Your Entire Website
If you want the highest level of security and restriction, you can opt to password protect your entire website.Here’s the step-by-step guide:
- To password-protect your whole website, you’ll be using the Password Protected plugin.
- Go to Plugins and click Add New.
- Search for Password Protect plugin and click install once it shows up.
- Once installed, click Activate.
- Go to Settings and click Password Protected. You will be led to the Password Protected Settings page.
- You’ll have several security options. You can choose to protect your entire site. To do this, tick the Enable checkbox in front of the Password Protect Status option.
When you tick the Protected Permissions option, it will allow selected users to access your website without the need to enter a password. If you want to enable specific users to access your website without the password, you need to enter their IP address in the Allow IP Address textbox.
The security requirements of every website owner and e-commerce site owners differ depending on their business structure and needs. But one thing is for sure, the data and information within the websites should be under constant protection.
Get help from the experts
April9 understands the importance of data security for your business, and we are here to make sure you are always protected. Whether it’s Wordpress or the cloud, your security is ensured with our experienced developers. April9 has all your software development and data security needs covered – don’t forget to schedule your free consultation today.